02/05/2007

Dune

Dune is considered one of the great works of science fiction. Some may query whether any science fiction can be called great but this is great in the category. Worries first; I know I have read this book (or at least the first volume, it's a trilogy) when the library existed in Tavistock Place before the great dumbing down of municipal life struck. I can only remember feeling thirsty and revulsion at the muckiness of life on Arrakis. So it doesn't have memorable characters or story line.

However, in its way it could be thought of as prescient for today in the anti Islam mood of the moment. I do not remember being caught by its setting in desert culture at first reading.

It is said to be inspired by a Jungian approach; I know little of Jung except he was quite the nazi and died surprisingly recently. He preached the importance of dreams, signs and mystical experiences (victim of an Indian experience familiar later to many seekers after 'truth' in the sub continent). Altogether inimcal to what your Librarian might esteem.

It's on the shelves, in case the survival techniques described should come in handy in a desert, but readers might be more amused by saying the rosary.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't they make a film called dune as well? or is that nothing to do with the book? There's also a perfume (smells nasty).

the Librarian said...

It's the film of the book possibly. Lots of sand was there? I'm not surprised the scent smells nasty, the description of the smell is the only thing I remembered about Dune - to avoid it.

Not sure about science fiction at all. Do you like any Giules?

Anonymous said...

i can confirm it is the film of the book, though i have not seen it (nor read it).

the best science fiction books i've read (as far as i can recall, more may come to mind but i've not read that many) are:

other days, other eyes (Bob Shaw)
little green men (Christoper Buckley)

Anonymous said...

i think both are in the library (i can even remember their covers...)

does everyone remember covers of books?

Anonymous said...

Librarian, you know I only like funny, clever, safe, big books with interesting characters and an exciting plot.

the Librarian said...

Lenna, I know where the Bob Shaw is, but are we sure about Little green men ?

'Up the airy mountain
down the rushy glen....'

I can sing the song but i don't think I've read the book.
I remember books by their cover - though of course I never judge.

the Librarian said...

Giules, you are an escapist!

Would you ever apply the same criteria to a piece of music?

Try Balzac, Trollope, but beware Jude the Obscure (and other stories) they look similar from their cover, but they will make you cry.

Anonymous said...

I've already read the whole of Trollope! I'll give Balzac a go.

the Librarian said...

La Comedie Humaine should keep you going G, if you google it up on wikipedia it gives an idea of for how many years. A (then) modern take on Dante supposedly, but I'm not too good on Dante so I've only Balzac to go on.